If you’ve gotten a gift from someone, or just lost your receipt, then you may be curious what your chances are of returning something to your local Walmart without a receipt.
Generally speaking, Walmart has a pretty generous return policy of 90 days for most items that are unopened with a receipt.
But I was curious about what happens when you don’t have a receipt.
So, I asked my aunt Robin, who has worked at our town’s local Walmart for more than a decade.
Keep reading for our full guide on making returns at Walmart without a receipt.
Official Walmart Return Policy Without Receipt
I know the panic of wanting to return something but not being able to find a receipt.
Fortunately, Walmart understands this as well, and doesn’t make it too difficult on you.
Walmart does accept returns without a receipt.
Depending on the current price of the item you are returning, you may get cash back for the return, or you may get it on a Walmart gift card to use in the store or online.
How Do I Return An Item Without a Receipt At Walmart?
Here’s how the process works.
- You present a valid, government-issued photo ID that has not been altered in any way.
- The refund verification process accepts the return. If an item is returned without a receipt and the refund verification process accepts it, you can:
- Exchange the item(s).
- Get a cash refund if the refund value of the returned item(s) is less than $10
- Get a Walmart shopping card or gift card if the refund value of the returned item(s) is $10 or over.
- If you do not have your receipt or order number, the store may be able to look up your purchase if you have:
- The credit or debit card used to make the purchase in-store.
- The email or phone number used to make the purchase online.
One thing to keep in mind is that Walmart does keep track of all returns without a receipt and if they notice that you are making a lot of returns like this, then they will prohibit you from making any future returns.
So, you don’t want to overdo it and get on the returns blacklist.
What Type of Refund Do I Get for an Item without a Receipt at Walmart?
As mentioned earlier, the type of refund that you get really depends on the current sale price of the item that you are returning.
If that value is under $10, then you get a refund in cash.
If that value is over $10, then you get a refund in the form of a Walmart gift card. This is commonly referred to as “store credit.”
Can I Always Return an Item without a Receipt at Walmart?
No, there are some exception to the Walmart policy for returns without a receipt.
Some of the things that you cannot return without a receipt are:
- prescription eyeglasses
- firearms and ammunition
- open electronics
You should also know that each Walmart store has the right to refuse any return at their choice.
There is no need to panic if you need to make a return at your local Walmart and do not have a receipt.
For most items that Walmart sells, they do allow you to make a return without a receipt.
However, your refund may come in the form of store credit on a Walmart gift card, which you can use online or in stores.