Oakland is shaped by the independent business leaders, artists, and activists who have planted their flag here. They invest their livelihoods in Oakland, raise their families here, build relationships here, hire and train employees here, pay taxes here, do volunteer work here, and donate to nonprofits here. They grow deep roots in this place they call home. And, they understand that they only succeed in business and in life when you do as well. It's a village.
At Oakland Grown, we celebrate and support these folks who play a critical role in sustaining our economy, curating our local identity, and leading with their values in business practices, environmental care, and innovative spirit. Here our are Top 10 reasons to join the movement.
Oakland Grown was founded in 2008 by a handful of volunteers who believe that the success of our independent businesses and artists is key to the health and happiness of our town as well as towns across the nation.
- We've represented Oakland at national conferences, given talks around the Bay Area, and met with government leaders to champion the cause.
- We've helped launch "buy local" groups in cities across North America.
- We've marched with Occupy, a movement that shared our vision of supporting Main Street instead of Wall Street.
- We promoted the Move Your Money campaign, raising awareness about the many benefits of credit unions and community banks.
- We fostered what became the nation-wide campaign, Plaid Friday, which encourages people to support indie businesses instead of the big box stores on busiest shopping day of the year – in turn, shifting billions of dollars into local economies across the USA.
- We created the Good Money Guide to help Bay Area businesses find capital to realize their dreams in a more sustainable way, avoiding predatory and less favorable loans.
- And, we have sold a lot of booze at countless fundraising events to help make it all possible.
That, friends, is how much we love Oakland.